Sunday, June 10, 2012

Unglue.it and the burgeoning equality of the internet

Call me a wearer of rose-colored glasses, but I'm a big fan of crowdfunding whereby small investments from lots of people allow big dreams to come true.  The one that's relevant to libraries right now is unglue.it, which some of you may have seen in the recent Hotline.  With the tagline Give eBooks to the world (I like that!) Unglue.it allows people everywhere to coordinate and ensure that a book is made available, DRM free, for everyone to be able to read it.  I've already contacted them about putting their content in our eBook platform (I promise I have news on that as soon as I get all my ducks in a row and can make announcements - but I did spend the week at BEA last week and met with loads of publishers!), and they were really interested in talking. We're going to meet at ALA.

The team really wants their first attempt to succeed, so that they can show that this is a viable option for authors and publishers, so if crowdfunding books seems like a good idea to you, I'd urge you to check it out, and perhaps contribute to their leading project at the moment, Oral Literature in Africa.  Check it out, and let us know what you think!  Thoughts?  Opinions?  I'd love to hear ideas and thoughts about it.

No comments: